Sunday, April 12, 2009

Waiting: A Poetry Contest Entry Poem

When the night is slipping by like a slippery fish in your hands,
And it's already halfway gone,
You can sit up in bed, awake, and listen,
Watching the streetlamps turn on and off, on and off,
Waiting for the seven noises of ringing bells,
But when you hear them,
Get up, get dressed,
But always remember
The time you spent awake, in bed,
Waiting for the seven noises of ringing bells.

NOTE: This poem and a previous one on this blog are poems entered in two separate writing contests. I will post the news on this blog if I win.

4 comments:

Nibor said...

I especially like the first two lines of this poem. They really capture that feeling of lying awake in bed. I also am amazed at how quickly you wrote this. Words -- beautiful words! -- just seem to pour out of you.

E.C.J. said...

which contest?Did you know about the contest in Dr. Iezman's office?You just Write why your mom is special and then put your name and phone # and tack it on the wall and the person's mother who wins gets a free MASSAGE!

mom-mom said...

So many nights I have felt the same as the first 4 lines of your poem. I love the comparison to the fish!
Keep on writing, Nory, you have a real talent. I can't wait to see your next poem.
Good luck in the contests.
Did you enter the one Elina suggested?

Love you-
Mom-Mom

E.C.J. said...

I LOVE this poem. It is THE best!