Sunday, August 5, 2012

Parks and Math: Themes of 8/02-8/05

Kenna and I had a whole baguette to ourselves for lunch on Thursday. This was a rare treat, for Robin and Shelley usually wanted pieces of the baguette. But Robin and Shelley were going out to a cafe, so Kenna and I stayed home, as we had all morning, and shared the baguette.
The afternoon was a little more interesting. We took the Metro to a park that Robin and I had read about in a guidebook. The guidebook description featured a giant head to climb on, a small world, and an underground shopping mall. However, when we arrived, we saw a dismal sight: most of the park had been closed off for construction, leaving just a small play-area and the shopping mall. Kenna still found fun in this, chasing me around and trying to get me to sit in the toy train. It was a brief walk to the courtyard of the Louvre, where fountains gracefully sprayed water and Kenna chased me again.
Friday morning brought more excitement. A friend had informed Robin of a discovery museum, stocked with scientific and mathematical wonders. I had high hopes for the museum, especially the math.
The museum had high-ceilings and a grand feel to it. I could hardly wait. At last, tickets were purchased, and we were in!
After a few diversions, Robin and I journeyed to the math room. It was less of a room than a dimly lit balcony overlooking a display on what looked like chemistry. Beautiful three-dimensional graphs hung on the walls. Some of them included equations, some of which I eagerly copied down to graph on graphing software at home. There was a fascinating interactive model of a bell curve on the other side of the balcony, but the best part was the Pi Room, a circular chamber showcasing the wonders of pi. Even Kenna, who doesn't enjoy math as much as I, seemed to have fun teaching Robin and Shelley digits of pi.
The next day found us visiting Robin's friend's parents in a different city in France. They took us out to a restaurant, where I had some delicious pasta. Kenna and I eagerly drew on the provided placemats with provided colored pencils. I wrote a proof, while Kenna drew a flock of birds. Afterwards, the whole group of us visited Napoleon's home, a grand castle even if it was smaller than Versailles. I enjoyed the visit more than Versailles because there were more props from the family's life showcased at Napoleon's home and it wasn't as crowded.
Today, we took the Metro to a flea market. Kenna purchased some small things. I spent one euro on a set of old, written-on postcards with lovely pictures and paintings on the cover. I plan to glue them on to the cover of my handmade journals to make the journals look better. I got a really neat postcard of Greek ruins at Delphi.
Sadly, it began to rain, dampening our bodies and our mood. We took the Metro again, but this time to the northern part of Paris. I turned a corner and saw the Eiffel Tower looming up at me unexpectedly. After we ate, we closed in on the Tower. Though we didn't go up, we did go to a nearby park for a little bit.
Now everything is quiet. So I can think. . .

No comments: