Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Best Friend

I'm sitting on the steps, waiting for something to do,
Or maybe for a best friend.
And a girl comes up to me, one with dark brown hair and a pink sweater.
She's the kind that will be the best of your best friends, I can tell.
"Let's play," she tells me.
I wonder, how does she know? But I agree.
She takes my hand. I stand up.
We're ready for adventure.
"Let's go," my newfound friend tells me.
I want to ask, "Where?" But I know I'll find out soon.
My friend has a strong grip. With my cool hand enclosed in her sweaty one,
She can lead me anywhere.
She can, but right now she's leading me now toward a lake...
In the middle of a forest.
I am scared and try to pull away. But the girl has a strong grip. She keeps pulling.
Maybe she won't be my best friend, or even my friend.
I lean on her, to make her go the other way.
But that doesn't work.
"My parents won't let me," I cry, still leaning on her.
And that is the truth.
But she says, "They can't see you here."
She is not my friend anymore.
We're in the forest now. Wind sweeps through this world of green, making leaves fall.
I shiver. My companion is lucky, with her pink sweater there to protect her.
"Almost there,'' she says to me.
But I feel like I cannot make it.
Suddenly, up ahead, we see the lake.
The girl takes one big step, dragging me along, and...
We're there.
The girl lifts me up...
And dumps me in the lake.
For a few moments, I fall through darkness, and then
I'm back at home. Everything's all right.
"Dinner time!" calls my mom.
I go to the table, ready to share my story of the best friend and the magic lake.

7 comments:

Nibor said...

Excellent poem, Nory. It is vivid and magical and very original. This one really sticks in my head.

mom-mom said...

Nory- I LOVED "The Best Friend!" I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I felt like I was reading a story by an adult. You are ready to publish, and I want a signed copy!
Keep it up! I love reading your stories and poems. I rate this one an A+.
Love you to infinity....
Mom-Mom

John Packel said...

Nory: Mom-mom came down to the kitchen with a copy of "The Best Friend" and said "you've got to see this." I read it and was mazed at the maturity of your writing. I must also confess that it was a little scary. A really great job of writing.
Love, Pop-pop

p.s. See you in two weeks

John Packel said...

Nory: Mom-mom came down to the kitchen with a copy of "The Best Friend" and said "you've got to see this." I read it and was mazed at the maturity of your writing. I must also confess that it was a little scary. A really great job of writing.
Love, Pop-pop

p.s. See you in two weeks

John Packel said...

Nory: Mom-mom came down to the kitchen with a copy of "The Best Friend" and said "you've got to see this." I read it and was mazed at the maturity of your writing. I must also confess that it was a little scary. A really great job of writing.
Love, Pop-pop

p.s. See you in two weeks

Katie said...

Hi Nory,
I often read and enjoy your poems and your blog, but mostly I just visit and don't leave a comment. Today, though, I want to tell you how impressed I am with "The Best Friend." It has strong images (the way the leaves fall from the trees in the forest), vivid specifics (the pink sweater) and a beautiful poetic arc: it starts out as an ordinary, wishful kind of day on the front steps, gets very dramatic and uncertain, and then ends up right back at an ordinary kitchen table. Wow! Nicely done!
Lots of love from your great aunt (and fellow poet) Katie

E.C.J. said...

Nory-You just HAVE to win 1st place for the reading rainbow story contest! If you don't,I'm going to pay them a visit they'll NEVER forget!Also, it really should be published.I really,really mean it this time.Oh,and can you write about the math games night if you have not already done so?